May 30, 2008
In a million years, I never could have imagined that this is where the next step in the journey of life would lead me and my family.
I never really believed that everything happens for a reason....nor did I understand any of the seemingly random connections in life...not until the most recent events. I decided to blog about this exciting new adventure in hopes to capture the highlights and the journey.
I'm 32 and buying a coffee shop with my mom and the love of my life. Could I be any luckier? Combined, the 3 of us have 70+ years experience in public service. My mom as a nurse, and me and J as police officers.
So let me back up....I ended up in rural Minnesota after moving to Minnesota for school. I've lived all over the place, other states, in Mexico, and in the cities for many years. Then after September 11th, I lost 3 jobs within 2 years. I needed a job that paid money. I had previously been to this town for a wedding and I loved the shopping. I'm really not joking...I applied for a job because I liked to shop in the town. Pretty much how I've made all major decisions in my life, just taking a big leap and figuring it out after the fact.
Mom got divorced and needed a change of scenery. We have always been kindred spirits, so she decided to move to Minnesota and start fresh. She also likes the shopping. ;)
I got engaged and then I got unengaged. I thought I was destined to be single for ever. If anyone tells you that dating is fun, they are not currently dating!!!! I have some interesting dating stories, but that is for another day.
Then I met the love of my life, and my best friend. We started out as honest friends for many many years. Each supporting the other through the ups and down of life. One day we realized that there was a much deeper connection than just pals. I think that we both feel fortunate to have found each other. It's not the perfect or ideal relationship but it works for us.
Life continued and it was good. While down here, I met my best gal pal K(Ktsparadise.blogspot.com). I'm not sure how we became friends, but we have been great friends (and bad influences) ever since. K is a remarkable woman who inspires me daily. Anyway, she decided that she was going to open a store, just because she can. Her courage and fortitude shocked me. But I listened with interest as she talked about it, and she gave me courage. She definitely planted a seed and gave me the courage to roar (or meow as it truly feels).
Sometime this winter, J and I had dinner with K and her hubby. A few too many Capatini's later, and K said, "You know that coffee shop in town is for sale." You and J should buy it. I love that about her. Just go buy a coffee shop, Not a huge deal, it's just like you are buying a purse or a vacation. Even though I laughed thinking she was actually out of her mind, I started to day dream about the possibility.
Well, if you haven't picked up on the shopping thing I don't exactly have a well balanced portfolio with lots of money laying around. I'm very much a public servant that put herself though school and is still making payments on her student loans.
So....One Sunday J and I had lunch at the coffee shop. The current owners, who we also quickly became friends with because of their creativity, genuineness, and engaging personalities, convinced us that the banks might actually give us money, and that "don't let anyone tell you you can't do it."
Oh, I forgot to mention that before J became a cop he went to school to become a Chef and has always loved cooking...So maybe things really do happen for a reason?
Well, after that day at lunch I had dinner with my mom. After 40 some years of nursing she was tired of nursing. Tired of working in a thankless job without sufficient resources to do the job the way it should be done. She was still working because she needed health insurance. Half joking I asked her if she wanted to buy a coffee shop. I figured she'd chalk this up as another one of my hair-brained ideas that I would forget about it in a day or so.
To my surprise when she realized that she could retire and the coffee shop could pay her health insurance for a few years she was hooked, and leaped.
We weren't too worried. We knew that no sane banker would give us average Jo's the money.
Well we close on Monday. We bought a coffee shop/restaurant. What have we done? On blind faith mom retired from nursing, trusting that this deal would go through without a hitch.
She's been "retired" for a month and has been our saving grace. She hasn't had much of a retirement. Buying a business is definitely not an easy undertaking, and there are bankers, attorneys, tax advisers, licenses, and a million other little details to get off the ground which she has been taking care of.
So, we are scared to death!! Excited, and thrilled. We hope that eventually we will figure out what we are doing. We hope that we can make some money and pay off the bankers. We hope to bring a smile and some joy to friends, family, and new friends one cup at a time.
J, mom, and I will keep you posted on the journey.
-K
Friday, May 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Are you going to be open on Monday? I wanna be your first customer!!
I'm very excited for you guys and hope things go thru for us also!!
Congrats :)
Congrats! I can't wait to walk in and see you, your mom, or J working! It is going to be an amazing experience. I can't wait for our deal to go through! Just like you said, average Joe's asking for money to purchase a business. What are we thinking? I know...we aren't!
Anyway, glad that I could have a hand in this! In 10-15 years, you will definitely be thanking me!
I can't wait to come in and bake!
Post a Comment